Saturday, May 16, 2015

Maori Welcome (cont); the Haka (you've never seen anything like this...)


When we left off, the Maori men had done a somewhat intimidating 'welcome dance' for us.  You've seen the photos in the previous post. From what I've seen , I get the feeling they don't have a 'happy dance'.

After the warrior welcome,  the women sing.  They do a dance with something called a ‘poi’, which  looks like a little plastic bag stuffed with something that looks like cotton on a rope.  They swing the poi against their hands, creating a mild percussive sound to the rhythm of their song.  After they’re done, they invite some of us to learn.  I learn. 

Here’s what I learn: I’m wicked uncoordinated and Kate takes great pictures of my lack of coordination.  I’ll spare you the photo  (ok, I’ll spare myself the embarrassment of having you see it)

Then the women sing (very nicely).
Poi Dance

You can find a video at this link http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/History-of-Maori-POI-in-New-Zealand-34_293_1947   that gives an idea of what we saw (and tried).  The purpose of the Poi dance is to help women keep their hands supple for weaving, and there are several versions of Poi that serve different purposes, including some that men would use.  Since the women use flax for weaving, I am assuming that is what is inside their 'poi'.

After we visiting women have broken the ice by trying the Poi dance,  the warriors return to the stage to demonstrate a 'Haka', which can best be described as a war dance. They make hideous faces, stick tongues out, open eyes wide, and chant in screaming, angry voices while slapping themselves, stamping the ground, and making threatening, throat-slitting gestures.  Our guide tells us a good Maori warrior must be “fierce, mean, and ugly”. 

"Fierce, Mean, and Ugly"
To get an idea of what the Haka looks like, I urge you to visit this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI851yJUQQ  Really--- you've probably never seen anything like this and it is worth watching.  

Once you’ve watched it, imagine hundreds or warriors preparing for battle. Our guide tells us that, in times past,  threatened tribes united and performed a Haka that made the ground shake for miles.   

The Haka is so effective at intimidating opponents and getting warriors psyched that the New Zealand Rugby team, the All Blacks, performs it before each game.

                New Zealand All Blacks pregame haka  ( from  ‘Rugby Heaven‘ )

If you lingered on the link to the Maori haka, you might have seen the All Blacks Haka video that followed.   If not, here’s another link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gbj_ig09WQ.  My thought after watching the rugby team is, if I were on the opposing team I’d probably retreat very quickly to the locker room and throw up.  Clearly I am not meant to play rugby.

In contrast to the Haka, a friendly Maori greeting--Te Reo Maori--involves touching noses, and inhaling on either side of the nose… sort of taking in the scent.  It is so different from the fierce and hostile view, it's almost hard to believe.
Traditional Maori Greeting
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11421013
I like the warm and friendly nose touching greeting just fine, and am glad my observation of the traditional warrior greeting is just ‘for show’.  And, trust me, I don’t ever want to face a team of fit and strong athletes doing a Haka...ever.

To find more interesting information and current news on Maori life and New Zealand, check Karaitiana Taiuru @ktaiuru

#     #     #
Next:  Carving School

No comments:

Post a Comment