Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Henley on Todd Regatta/ Return to the Outback


My hotel is near the Todd River--well-- near the Todd River bed. 

The Todd River flows through Alice Springs...sometimes

Today,  it’s the Todd Trickle. 

The rain I saw in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park didn’t make it to Alice Springs.  So for now, this is the same kind of (invisible) river the driver was pointing out  on the road-- a tree-lined bed of sand.

Australians, who, by the way, are the friendliest people I’ve ever met (or at least on par with the Irish), may also be the best at finding a smile in a difficult situation.   What do you do when you have a riverbed that’s dry most of the time?  Have a regatta! 

But …. regattas, like the annual Head of the Charles in Boston, involve boats… on water… right? 

Not how it’s done in Alice Springs.  Henley-on-Todd participants might have boats, but the boats are bottomless.  When the contestants sit down, their feet are on the sandy floor of the dry river bed.   At the sound of the starting pistol, they pick up their boats and run.  Or maybe teams particpate in the bathtub derby, carrying a one-passnger tub to the finish line  Or scoot in carts on rails.  Or just sprint. 

This photo is from the Henley on Todd web site (http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/)

I urge you to check   http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/  for more pictures and videos.  Really, this is different.
----

Next morning, time for me to return to the Outback on a day tour I arranged in the hotel. This time to meet the Walpiri.

The entire time I am listening to my guide, I am beset by flies.  I’ve heard references to the ‘Australian wave’ and the ‘Aussie salute’.  I’ve seen people with hats with netting that covers their faces.  I wish I had one now.  It is impossible to ignore these flies. They buzz, they land, they hover.  I’m afraid to open my mouth.  So  I wave them aside (and wave and wave and wave) and listen. 

My guide has tremendous respect for the native culture, and the Walpiri Tribe greet him warmly.   His respect and eagerness to share their history and information about their lives is sincere.  Very sincere.  I’m a little surprised at how sincere.

#     #      #
Next:  Aborigine Food

No comments:

Post a Comment