Monday, March 23, 2020

Life Interrupted by Corona Virus!

The last post I shared on Machu Picchu focused on the Temple of the Sun.

I was getting ready to continue my trip to Machu Picchu when I suddenly found myself overwhelmed: some articles, work on my book, getting tax stuff organized ...and then…. Corona-Hell.

To anyone reading this, I share my sincere wishes that you and those who bring meaning to your life are safe and well and minimally affected by all that is going on in our world.  None of us has experienced anything like this.

To those who are working, those in the front lines putting themselves at risk, providing care for others, helping the afflicted, transporting urgently needed supplies, stocking shelves, and so much more, THANK YOU.  I look forward to the time I can say that to you in person.

I’m ready to admit that this difficult and stressful time has taken its toll on me. I *said* I was taking a break from writing to clean files, check on people, organize this, arrange that. It has finally hit me that, while I did do those things, most of my behavior--lethargy, exhaustion, inability to focus on writing-- has been a response to this distressing situation.

I read recently that Isaac Newton self-quarantined to avoid the bubonic plague. In the time of his isolation, he developed an understanding of gravity; determined that a body at rest will stay at rest, a body in motion will remain in motion unless another force acts on  it; that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. He discovered that white light is a blend of every color in the spectrum. 

So far in my self-quarantine, I have discovered that my phone does not work as a remote for the TV (and vice versa).

But I have also discovered that people are ready to reach out to one another to offer help and support, to check on friends and neighbors, to run errands, pick up groceries, find ways to aid and comfort the people in their lives. 

Half the battle was recognizing that I have been shaken and thrown off course by this chaotic situation. I’m ready to face the next half.  I’m prepared to pick up my writing where I left off, while I continue to check on those friends, family, and neighbors who make life worth living.

I welcome you to use the comment section here to vent, to write about how you are doing, what you are feeling.  Whatever helps.  

Back to Machu Picchu.

1 comment:

  1. In these times of sequestration whether voluntary or imposed, I find that my Pollyanna attitude toward adversity is my defense against that dreaded affliction - Cabin Fever!
    My imagination, once prodded, has brought out thoughts of my upbringing and places where I’ve lived and been. Not being the world traveler I’ll leave those comments to our host and store my thoughts for future reference.
    My time is taken up by Sudoko, crossword, Scrabble(Words with friends), Jigsaw and finding music I’ve never heard before.
    I really appreciate having friends who post many things and they provide my resources to explore the world from my miniature window.
    We shall Endure!
    Imagine......

    ReplyDelete